Jennifer Garner’s mini freakout at the 90th Academy Awards has become a cinematic meme.
The former Alias star was clapping in the audience during the 2018 Oscars ceremony when something important dawned on her. One minute, Garner was applauding like everyone else, lulling viewers into a false sense of security. The next minute, something hit her and the world shifted on its axis because nothing would ever be the same. It was like she slid her own mini-movie into the Oscar contention mix, unintentionally.
Twitter user Bobby Finger captured her abrupt revelation, and posed the question on everyone’s minds: “what realization did Jennifer Garner just come to?”
Twitter users quickly moved in to spin Internet gold out of all the possible answers, and it became an instant obsession.
People related to Garner because it was a humanizing moment. People really related to her because she seemed just as forgetful as we all are sometimes. People really, really related to her because maybe she just realized she messed up the chicken.
Whatever she was thinking, everyone could get down with the emotional revelation. The Internet has been clutching to this moment tighter than Leonardo DiCaprio holding onto his first Oscar.
If you see one film this year, let it be this.
See a selection of reactions below.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart