Frances McDormand should be an expert at winning. After all, she has a collection of Golden Globes, Emmys, BAFTAs, and an Academy Award. However, when she was collecting her Oscar at the awards show for her work in Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri, she likened the experience not to any of her previous awards, but to winning an Olympic medal.
“I think this is what Chloe Kim must have felt like after landing back-to-back 1080s in the Olympic half-pipe. Did you see that? Okay that’s what it feels like,” McDormand said on stage on Sunday night at the 90th annual Academy Awards.
The 17-year-old gold medalist was understandably flattered to be recognized by McDormand, particularly as it came in one of the most powerful speeches of the evening. Kim, being the social media star that she is, took to Twitter to announce that she was “shook” by the shout-out.
She then invited McDormand to go snowboarding with her. While McDormand has not yet responded to Kim’s offer, if anyone can get McDormand on the half-pipe it’s probably Kim. And perhaps McDormand can help Kim navigate the awards show circuit, when she inevitably wins an Emmy for her photobombing skills.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022