Allison Janney could have ended her acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress at the 90th Academy Awards after her opening line, and audiences would have been over the moon.
“I did it all by myself,” Janney said immediately after accepting an Oscar for her role in I, Tonya. As the crowd laughed and cheered, she added, “Nothing further from the truth.”
But the sentiment struck a chord with many people—and only partly because Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel had promised to bestow a jet ski upon the Academy Award winner who delivered the shortest speech of the night. While Janney’s speech did not qualify her for a jet ski, fans online loved her opener.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve