Allison Janney could have ended her acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress at the 90th Academy Awards after her opening line, and audiences would have been over the moon.
“I did it all by myself,” Janney said immediately after accepting an Oscar for her role in I, Tonya. As the crowd laughed and cheered, she added, “Nothing further from the truth.”
But the sentiment struck a chord with many people—and only partly because Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel had promised to bestow a jet ski upon the Academy Award winner who delivered the shortest speech of the night. While Janney’s speech did not qualify her for a jet ski, fans online loved her opener.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears