It may only be day five of the 2018 Winter Olympics, but emotions in PyeongChang, South Korea, are already running high. As the parents of Canadian freestyle skier Mikaël Kingsbury watched him take home gold in the men’s moguls final on Monday, their overwhelming joy was contagious.
“I’m right beside Kingsbury’s mom and dad,” tweeted CBC News reporter Devin Heroux. “You can sense their nerves. I watched his dad close his eyes and clasp his hands together in the air before his son’s last run. What drama in the mountains.”
In a video showing Kingsbury’s parents at the moment he crossed the finish line, both mom and dad can be seen jumping up and down while loudly cheering. Kingsbury then leapt into his parents’ arms after winning the gold medal, a reaction that prompted an outpouring of support from the internet.
See some more of the reactions below.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy