It may only be day five of the 2018 Winter Olympics, but emotions in PyeongChang, South Korea, are already running high. As the parents of Canadian freestyle skier Mikaël Kingsbury watched him take home gold in the men’s moguls final on Monday, their overwhelming joy was contagious.
“I’m right beside Kingsbury’s mom and dad,” tweeted CBC News reporter Devin Heroux. “You can sense their nerves. I watched his dad close his eyes and clasp his hands together in the air before his son’s last run. What drama in the mountains.”
In a video showing Kingsbury’s parents at the moment he crossed the finish line, both mom and dad can be seen jumping up and down while loudly cheering. Kingsbury then leapt into his parents’ arms after winning the gold medal, a reaction that prompted an outpouring of support from the internet.
See some more of the reactions below.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time