The 2018 Winter Olympics began in PyeongChang on Friday, as the opening ceremony kicked off the 23rd Winter Games.
Leading the United States was Erin Hamlin, the first U.S. athlete to win an Olympic medal for singles luge. Hamlin raised the flag during the Olympics opening ceremony ahead of 244 American athletes, the largest cohort ever fielded by the U.S.
Nearly 3,000 athletes entered the stadium during the opening ceremony. The last nation to enter was Korea, with athletes walking behind a unification flag.
Couldn’t get a ticket to the Games? See photos from the Olympics opening ceremony here.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time