After art student Alex Ruth Bertuli-Fernandes was told by one of her art instructors that she should “dial down the feminism,” she decided to illustrate his suggestion with a creation that directly referenced it.
She shared an image of a piece that featured an actual dial, along with two options that span the spectrum of what he suggested: being “complicit in my own dehumanization” and being a “raging feminist” along with a header with the teacher’s words, “Dial down the feminism.” Bertuli-Fernandes then took to Twitter to share the story and an image of her new piece, in a post that’s garnered 68,000 retweets as of Thursday.
As might be expected, the Internet was pretty excited about Bertuli-Fernandes’ response to her teacher and took to the web to show her some love (and to express some disdain for her teacher.)
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow