The eighth and final season of Game of Thrones may still be over a year away, but that isn’t stopping creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss from lining up new projects to tackle following the show’s conclusion — specifically ones that require a trip to a whole new galaxy.
Lucasfilm announced on Tuesday that the famed showrunner duo is set to write and produce a new series of Star Wars movies that will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the previously announced Rian Johnson-helmed trilogy.
However, the pair is clearly aware what Thrones fans think their priority should be right now. “In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving