Killer robots, scenic vistas and rampaging android bulls — Westworld has revealed its eagerly awaited season 2 Super Bowl trailer. Above is HBO’s extended 90-second version of the sci-fi drama’s new ad (a 30-second version ran during the big game).
The trailer is narrated by rancher’s daughter turned host rebellion leader Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) who declares, “this world is a lie, and we’ll burn it to the ground and build a new world, our world.”
Shots include mysterious looks at falling snow (where are they?), that unfinished host looming and moving behind Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) and a stunning sequence of killer robotic bulls herded by newly woke host Maeve (Thandie Newton). The bulls are sent charging through the adult theme park’s behind-the-scenes labs, trampling soldiers who we assume were sent to Westworld to suppress the host uprising.
The ad was directed by series co-creator Jonathan Nolan, who once again has picked a modern classic song for instrumental re-imagining by the show’s composer Ramin Djawadi — in this case, Kanye West’s “Runaway.”
As a kicker, the ad finally revealed the Westworld season 2 premiere date: April 22.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022