Set to Alicia Keys’ hit 2012 single “Girl on Fire,” the minute-long spot shows the star skier flashing back to some of the obstacles — including a season-ending knee injury that kept her from participating in the 2014 Sochi Games — that she has faced in her pursuit to take home gold. The montage of clips also features home videos of Vonn’s adorable ski beginnings.
Vonn’s commercial is the third of five “Best of Us” Olympic athlete spots that debuted Wednesday on the Today show and are set to air on Super Bowl Sunday. Vonn joined the Today show live from Germany to see the powerful commercial for the first time.
The first events of the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea, will take place on Feb. 8, with the opening ceremony scheduled for Feb. 9.
Watch the full commercial below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org