Sorry, Oprah 2020 fans. The mogul says she’s not interested in running for President of the United States.
“I’ve always felt very secure and confident with myself in knowing what I could do and what I could not. And so it’s not something that interests me. I don’t have the DNA for it,” Oprah Winfrey told InStyle for the magazine’s new cover story.
The powerful speech Winfrey gave while accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Award led people to begin a viral campaign to get her to run for president. Days later, “#Oprah2020” was still trending on Twitter, InStyle notes. Winfrey’s longtime partner Stedman Graham even said, “It’s up to the people. She would absolutely do it.” Her well-known best friend of decades Gayle King said Winfrey was “intrigued” by the idea, though not sold.
But Winfrey says it’s not going to happen.
“Gayle — who knows me as well as I know myself practically — has been calling me regularly and texting me things, like a woman in the airport saying, ‘When’s Oprah going to run?'” Winfrey said. “So Gayle sends me these things, and then she’ll go, ‘I know, I know, I know! It wouldn’t be good for you — it would be good for everyone else.’ I met with someone the other day who said that they would help me with a campaign. That’s not for me.”
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time