After a 15-year-old boy opened fire on his classmates at their Kentucky high school Tuesday morning, police have raised the number of shooting victims from 14 to 16.
A total of 16 students, ranging from 14 to 18 years old, were shot with a handgun, and four others suffered various injuries at Marshall County High School, Kentucky State Police said on Facebook. Bailey Nicole Holt, 15, and Preston Ryan Cope, 15, were both killed in the shooting, police said, and four students remain hospitalized.
The suspect, who has not been named, has been charged with two counts of murder and 12 counts of assault in the first degree, Assistant County Attorney Jason Darnall said in a press conference Wednesday. The teen will be tried as an adult, he said.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms