Now, following the controversy that the President is facing after the Washington Post reported that he called Haiti, El Salvador, and various African countries “shithole countries” while discussing immigration policy, has earned some shade from the dictionary that the users spreading it feel is well-deserved.
After the President made his remark, he was met with criticism from many of his peers, including Republican Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen who told CBS Miami that “the statements of the president are reprehensible, they’re racist, they’re totally incorrect.”
It appears that Merriam-Webster could be co-signing Ros-Lehtinen’s statement with their Friday “Word of the Day,” which is, fittingly, reprehensible, which they define as “worth of or deserving reprehension, blame, or censure.”
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time