Americans with roots in Haiti, El Salvador and African nations took to the internet to declare their pride in the face of reports that President Donald Trump referred to them as “shithole countries” in a White House meeting about immigration.
While Trump has denied that he used the vulgar language, many Americans who immigrated from those countries or who have parents or grandparents from them shared their personal achievements and pride in their heritage.
The comment reportedly came in a White House meeting discussing alternative ways to allow residents of those countries who have lost temporary protected status under the Trump Administration to stay in the country.
Here’s how people on the internet responded:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve