Americans with roots in Haiti, El Salvador and African nations took to the internet to declare their pride in the face of reports that President Donald Trump referred to them as “shithole countries” in a White House meeting about immigration.
While Trump has denied that he used the vulgar language, many Americans who immigrated from those countries or who have parents or grandparents from them shared their personal achievements and pride in their heritage.
The comment reportedly came in a White House meeting discussing alternative ways to allow residents of those countries who have lost temporary protected status under the Trump Administration to stay in the country.
Here’s how people on the internet responded:
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears