The Eat, Pray, Love author announced Elias’ death on Instagram on Thursday. Elias, an author and songwriter, was diagnosed with pancreatic and liver cancer in 2016, the same year that Gilbert and Elias announced their relationship to the public.
“I loved you so much, Rayya. Thank you for letting me walk with you right to the edge of the river. It has been the greatest honor of my life,” Gilbert wrote. “I would tell you to rest in peace, but I know that you always found peace boring. May you rest in excitement.”
In 2016, Gilbert wrote in a Facebook post that she divorced husband José Nunes to be with her longtime friend following Elias’ cancer diagnosis. The couple held a private commitment ceremony in June 2017.
“She was my love, my heart, my best friend, my teacher, my rebel, my angel, my protector, my challenger, my partner, my muse, my wizard, my surprise, my gift, my comet, my liberator, my rock star, my completely impossible non-cooperator, my otherworldly visitor, my spiritual portal, and my baby,” Gilbert wrote in her post on Thursday.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time