A newly released video shows an Ohio mother calmly confessing to beating her 5-year-old daughter to death after the girl’s body was found hidden in the family’s restaurant.
“I just killed her and then she died,” Ming Ming Chen, 30, said in the police video, which was obtained by Fox 8 Cleveland. “I told my husband to take care of it.”
Chen was sentenced to 22 years in prison last week after she pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and other charges in her daughter Ashley Zhao’s death last year, according to the Associated Press.
Chen, who ran Ang’s Asian Cuisine in North Canton with her husband, said she was overwhelmed with work and was frustrated with how disobedient her daughter had become after living with her grandparents, according to Fox 8.
“I need to take care of everything from the restaurant. I only have two hands,” Chen told investigators. “I don’t want to do that to Ashley, but you can’t control yourself sometimes.”
Chen and her husband, Liang Zhao, were charged in connection to their daughter’s death last January. The parents had first reported Ashley Zhao missing, but police said they later found the girl’s body “concealed” inside the family’s restaurant.
Chen, who is in the U.S. illegally, will be deported to her homeland of China after prison, the AP reports. Zhao pleaded guilty to charges including obstructing justice and corpse abuse.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022