An Amtrak train derailment in Washington state reportedly left at least three people dead Monday after a crash during the train’s inaugural run.
The Amtrak Cascades train traveling from Seattle to Portland partially landed on the busy Interstate 5 highway near Tacoma, with one car dangling from the track above the stalled traffic. Another fell onto the road and struck several vehicles, though no drivers or passengers in the automobiles were killed, according to the Associated Press.
More than 80 people were aboard the train at the time of its derailment. The exact death toll is not yet known, according to local authorities. The cause of the accident is under investigation.
Here are some photos from the scene in the wake of the tragic derailment:
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time