1. 2017 set a record for journalists going to jail for reporting the news.
By Elana Beiser at the Committee to Protect Journalists
2. This is what public libraries will lose without net neutrality.
By Kaitlyn Tiffany at the Verge
3. Could these plants someday replace the lamps in your home?
By Anne Trafton at MIT
4. Careful use of radiation could fix a deadly heart rhythm — noninvasively.
By Julia Evangelou Strait at Washington University in St. Louis
5. Millennials will inherit the worst U.S. economy since the Great Depression.
By Michael Hobbes in Huffington Post Highline
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement