Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the legendary franchise’s long-awaited next chapter, finally hit the big screen in the U.S. on Thursday, drawing hordes of fans to theaters across the country. Though the film’s official premiere is Friday, Deadline estimates that Thursday’s preview viewings could rake in more than $45 million alone.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Rian Johnson-directed Episode VIII has been polarizing among fans who caught an early glimpse Thursday.
Some viewers raved, with several even calling The Last Jedi the best Star Wars movie in years.
Other viewers, however, let the hate flow through them.
And both sides had some choice words for the other.
One thing’s for sure: The Last Jedi is a conversation starter. (And it’s worth noting TIME film critic Stephanie Zacharek found it to be a Star Wars movie that’s truly for everyone.)
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time