When you look back at 2017, it’s the photos that dutifully fed the internet by dominating social feeds that defined the year. And the year’s most notable viral photos are as varied as they are telling, documenting political movements, crises, and as always, joke material.
Congratulations to whoever even remembers what Trump discussed with leaders in Saudi Arabia, but everyone saw the picture with the orb. Sure Beyoncé released new music in 2017, but her most inescapable material was her record-busting pregnancy announcement photo. Each snapshot above chronicles – in vivid illustration – the moments that spread across the internet. Whether they were thoughtfully staged or unpredictable, there’s human emotion over them all.
Before you look toward 2018, revisit the images in LightBox’s best viral photos of 2017.
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma