In the wake of Matt Lauer’s firing from NBC’s Today show over allegations of sexual misconduct, the internet is remembering his former co-host Ann Curry’s emotional departure from the program in 2012. Lauer was fired Wednesday after more than 20 years as anchor of Today following a “detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace,” according to a statement from NBC.
His termination has prompted some viewers to take to social media to express their support for Curry, who was reportedly forced out of her co-anchor position due to tensions with Lauer. “This is not how I expected to leave this couch after 15 years,” she tearfully announced during her final show. “For all of you who saw me as a groundbreaker, I’m sorry I couldn’t carry the ball over the finish line. But man, I did try.”
“Harassment and abuse is always about power,” Twitter user Alexis King captioned a gif of Curry tearing up. “Don’t forget what Matt Lauer did to Ann Curry.”
See a selection of the reactions below.
- Amanda Gorman on the Greatest Lesson She’s Learned This Year
- What Actually Worries U.S. Doctors About Omicron
- Reuniting Families Separated Under Trump Is Expensive. Should the U.S. Government Pay?
- The 10 Best Movies of 2021
- America's Foster Care System Is a Dangerous Place for Trans Teens. Now They're Fighting for Change
- Stressed About Going Back to the Office? Here Are 8 Ways to Make It Easier
- What to Know About Digital World, the Company Funding Trump's New Social Media Platform 'TRUTH Social'