In the wake of Matt Lauer’s firing from NBC’s Today show over allegations of sexual misconduct, the internet is remembering his former co-host Ann Curry’s emotional departure from the program in 2012. Lauer was fired Wednesday after more than 20 years as anchor of Today following a “detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace,” according to a statement from NBC.
His termination has prompted some viewers to take to social media to express their support for Curry, who was reportedly forced out of her co-anchor position due to tensions with Lauer. “This is not how I expected to leave this couch after 15 years,” she tearfully announced during her final show. “For all of you who saw me as a groundbreaker, I’m sorry I couldn’t carry the ball over the finish line. But man, I did try.”
“Harassment and abuse is always about power,” Twitter user Alexis King captioned a gif of Curry tearing up. “Don’t forget what Matt Lauer did to Ann Curry.”
See a selection of the reactions below.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State