Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) has apologized after an anonymous user posted a nude photo of him on social media earlier this week.
“While separated from my second wife, prior to the divorce, I had sexual relationships with other mature adult women,” Barton said in a statement on Wednesday, the Texas Tribune reports. “Each was consensual. Those relationships have ended. I am sorry I did not use better judgment during those days. I am sorry that I let my constituents down.”
Barton, who has served in the House of Representatives since 1985, announced earlier this month that he would seek reelection. In an interview with the Tribune on Tuesday, he said he was contemplating his political future.
“You’re as aware of what was posted as I am,” he said. “I am talking to a number of people, all of whom I have faith in and am deciding how to respond, quite frankly.”
It’s unclear if the person who posted the photo of Barton violated laws prohibiting the distribution of nude images without the subject’s consent, a practice sometimes called “revenge porn.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve