Schuman, who rose to fame in the early 2000s as a member of the girl group Dream, said in a blog post earlier this month that she was 18 when Carter allegedly forced her to give him oral sex and have intercourse at his California apartment. Carter disputed the accusation in a statement obtained by TIME, saying everything the two singers did was consensual.
“Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual,” he said. “We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
Schuman said she and Carter, 22 at the time, were both cast in the same movie years ago when he invited her over to hang out and drink with a small group of friends. At one point, the two began kissing and Carter led them into a nearby bathroom, where he began unbuttoning her pants to give her oral sex.
“I told him I didn’t want to go any further,” Schuman said, adding that Carter was aware she was a virgin and saving herself for marriage. “He didn’t listen. He didn’t care. He told me, ‘Don’t worry. I won’t tell anybody.’”
Schuman said they eventually moved to another bathroom, where she claimed he forced her to perform oral sex on him, and then to the bedroom, where he allegedly raped her. “It was done,” she said. “The one thing I had held as a virtue had been ruined. I went limp, turned my head to my left and decided I would just go to sleep now.”
Schuman said she kept the incident a secret from the public for years but felt moved to come forward with her story after dozens of victims of sexual assault came forward to accuse other public figures.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart