President Donald Trump has criticized Senator Al Franken in the wake of allegations of sexual misconduct leveled against him, taking to Twitter Thursday night to weigh in on the scandal. Referring to the Senator as “Al Frankenstien,” the president alluded to a 1995 incident when Franken, then a Saturday Night Live writer, proposed a skit in which he would appear to drug and rape journalist Lesley Stahl.
Social media users were quick to point out that Trump has stayed largely silent about allegations that a Republican candidate for Senate, Roy Moore, made sexual advances toward teenage girls and assaulted several women. Others recounted an audio recording that surfaced during Trump’s presidential campaign, in which Trump was captured on a hot mic making crass remarks about women and bragging that he could “do anything” to them.
More than a dozen women have also accused Trump of sexual misconduct, a fact not lost on the president’s most vocal critics.
Here’s how some users replied.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer