Jimmy Fallon is mourning the death of his mother Gloria, who passed away on Saturday, PEOPLE confirms.
“Jimmy Fallon’s mother, Gloria, died peacefully on Saturday,” A Fallon family spokesperson told PEOPLE in a statement. “Jimmy was at his mother’s bedside, along with her loved ones, when she passed away at NYU Langone Medical Center in NYC. Our prayers go out to Jimmy and his family as they go through this tough time.”
The tragic news comes after Fallon cancelled a Nov. 3 taping of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon due to a “private Fallon family matter.”
A source revealed to PEOPLE then that Gloria was sick and that Fallon, 43, had gone to the hospital to be by her side.
“Jimmy comes from a very close knit family, and together with the rest of his loved ones they are by her side right now,” the source added.
Although Fallon is known to keep his family life private, he’s shared funny stories and sweet moments about his mother over the years.
In June, he revealed to Howard Stern that his mother used to be a nun. A month earlier, he shared a memory about Gloria as part of a “#MomQuotes” segment for the talk show.
“My mom and I were talking on the phone for the third time that day and she actually said, ‘We don’t talk enough,’ ” he tweeted.
This article originally appeared on People.com
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement