The singer was long ago reported to be the top choice for the role.
Director Jon Favreau previously announced that Atlanta‘s Donald Glover will star as Simba. James Earl Jones — who voiced Simba’s father, Mufasa, in the original 1994 Lion King — will reprise his role.
The all-star cast also includes Keegan-Michael Key, John Oliver, Seth Rogen and Chiwetel Ejiofor, among others.
The movie, which is slated to be released in 2019, is among several live-action adaptions that Disney has in the works, following the success of remakes including Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart