1. Could we build a better Facebook?
By Alexandra Samuel in JSTOR Daily
2. Puerto Rico’s devastation could open the door to a revolutionary power grid.
By Lewis M. Milford and Mark Muro at the Brookings Institution
3. Forget Mars. Humans should set their space colony sights on this moon of Saturn.
By Amanda Hendrix in NPR’s 13.7: Cosmos and Culture
4. Missile defense probably won’t save us from a North Korean attack.
By Ankit Panda and Vipin Narang at War on the Rocks
5. Does science need more mavericks — or do they just cause problems?
By Adrian Currie in Aeon
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction