The body of a 6-year-old-boy was found in a dumpster Tuesday, a day after he was reported missing to authorities in the Seattle metropolitan area.
Authorities said the child, identified as Dayvid Pakko, had been drowned in a bathtub by a 19-year-old male relative in Lynnwood, Wash., according to the Seattle Times. The relative, who remains unidentified, has been taken into custody, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s office said.
“There is evidence that the boy was a victim of homicide,” a spokesperson from the Snohomish County Sheriff’s office said, according to the Times.
It is not yet clear whether the 19-year-old was the adult tasked with watching the child while his mother worked or what the 19-year-old’s exact relationship was with him, the Times reported. It remains unknown whether the 19-year-old has confessed to the crime, but the Snohomish County Sheriff’s office said that police do not believe there are any other suspects.
The Snohomish County Sheriff’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TIME.
The 6-year-old boy’s body was found in a trash container at an apartment complex around the corner from the child’s home around 2 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said. The boy, who was described as mildly autistic, according to the Times, was first reported missing Monday evening.
“Obviously, it’s an incredibly tragic ending,” the Snohomish County Sheriff’s office spokesperson said.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time