After scrapping major Affordable Care Act insurance subsidies, President Donald Trump took to Twitter to comment on the decision.
“The Democrats ObamaCare is imploding,” he wrote. “Massive subsidy payments to their pet insurance companies has stopped. Dems should call me to fix!”
On Thursday, the President signed an executive order that could upend the country’s current insurance system by cutting subsidies to health insurance companies for low-income patients. The subsidies are said to allow insurance companies to offer plans that poorer Americans can afford.
Trump has previously dubbed such subsidies a “bailout.”
The Department of Health and Human Services meanwhile said it would “discontinue these payments immediately.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org