After scrapping major Affordable Care Act insurance subsidies, President Donald Trump took to Twitter to comment on the decision.
“The Democrats ObamaCare is imploding,” he wrote. “Massive subsidy payments to their pet insurance companies has stopped. Dems should call me to fix!”
On Thursday, the President signed an executive order that could upend the country’s current insurance system by cutting subsidies to health insurance companies for low-income patients. The subsidies are said to allow insurance companies to offer plans that poorer Americans can afford.
Trump has previously dubbed such subsidies a “bailout.”
The Department of Health and Human Services meanwhile said it would “discontinue these payments immediately.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement