Its International Day of the Girl — and Beyonce is honoring it with a video encouraging action to fight challenges girls around the world face.
The video, which the singer posted on her Facebook page, features young girls in various locations lip syncing to her song “Freedom.” It also includes disturbing statistics about girls, like how they are more likely to become infected with HIV or fall victim to human trafficking, and that 130 million girls don’t receive an education. The end of the video directs viewers to a page on globalgoals.org where they can contribute to help girls.
“Today is #DayoftheGirl. Girls around the world are fighting for their freedom every day. Join me, Chime for Change, and The Global Goalsby taking action for #FreedomForGirls now,” Beyonce writes on her Facebook page introducing the video.
The video first premiered at Goalkeepers, an event hosted by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, last month. It was directed by MJ Delaney, and produced with UNICEF, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and Project Everyone.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This