So it should come as no surprise that Cardi paid homage to her borough with her performance of hit “Bodak Yellow” at the 2017 BET Hip Hop Awards by performing on a set that looked like it could have been a New York City street corner, complete with a bodega, a barber shop, street benches, and background dancers that played dice and did pull-ups.
The former Love & Hip-Hop star made her entrance from the doors of the bodega, where she emerged in a floor-length fur coat and statement sunglasses before performing a riveting rendition of “Bodak Yellow” that the audience enthusiastically rapped along to. Her memorable performance wasn’t the only highlight of the night for Cardi; she also took home top honors that night including Hustler of the Year, Single of the Year, and Best New Artist.
Watch the full performance here.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms