In his Late Show opening monologue Wednesday night, host Stephen Colbert took on rumors that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called President Donald Trump a “moron,” and seemed to take Trump’s side.
“Hold on there, Rex. Hold on there, Tillerson. Nobody calls our president a moron except me,” Colbert said.
However, he quickly opened up the ability to call Trump a moron, adding, “And other world leaders. And, ultimately, history.”
Colbert also called the comment “vicious” and “accurate.” But even though Colbert asserted that Tillerson shouldn’t call Trump a moron, he continued to go after the President himself throughout the monologue and joked about his tweets regarding the incident.
The tongue-in-cheek defense of Trump was reminiscent of his saying that North Korea shouldn’t call the President a “dotard” because only he could.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating