In his Late Show opening monologue Wednesday night, host Stephen Colbert took on rumors that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called President Donald Trump a “moron,” and seemed to take Trump’s side.
“Hold on there, Rex. Hold on there, Tillerson. Nobody calls our president a moron except me,” Colbert said.
However, he quickly opened up the ability to call Trump a moron, adding, “And other world leaders. And, ultimately, history.”
Colbert also called the comment “vicious” and “accurate.” But even though Colbert asserted that Tillerson shouldn’t call Trump a moron, he continued to go after the President himself throughout the monologue and joked about his tweets regarding the incident.
The tongue-in-cheek defense of Trump was reminiscent of his saying that North Korea shouldn’t call the President a “dotard” because only he could.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time