Spanish fashion house Balenciaga turned heads on Oct. 1 when it sent models down the runway wearing platform Crocs (below left), the much-ridiculed colorful clogs. Here, other unlikely items that have appeared during fashion weeks.
The plastic shoes beloved by ’90s kids made a comeback during Alberta Ferretti’s Milan Fashion Week show in September, where they were worn by models Gigi Hadid and Bella Hadid.
Balenciaga also made headlines on the Paris runway in June 2016 when it debuted a $2,145 large blue leather bag that bore a striking resemblance to Ikea’s iconic 99¢ Frakta tote.
When French design house Vetements showcased a $330 version of the yellow T-shirt worn by employees of German courier giant DHL at Paris Fashion Week in 2015, it quickly sold out.
This appears in the October 16, 2017 issue of TIME.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating