Spanish fashion house Balenciaga turned heads on Oct. 1 when it sent models down the runway wearing platform Crocs (below left), the much-ridiculed colorful clogs. Here, other unlikely items that have appeared during fashion weeks.
The plastic shoes beloved by ’90s kids made a comeback during Alberta Ferretti’s Milan Fashion Week show in September, where they were worn by models Gigi Hadid and Bella Hadid.
Balenciaga also made headlines on the Paris runway in June 2016 when it debuted a $2,145 large blue leather bag that bore a striking resemblance to Ikea’s iconic 99¢ Frakta tote.
When French design house Vetements showcased a $330 version of the yellow T-shirt worn by employees of German courier giant DHL at Paris Fashion Week in 2015, it quickly sold out.
This appears in the October 16, 2017 issue of TIME.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization