The familial connection was revealed Tuesday night in the fourth season premiere of PBS’ Finding Your Roots. By the looks of it, both are delighted to share a genetic bond.
In the episode, host Henry Louis Gates Jr. gives each men a book that has photos of a distant cousin. “I hope it’s a good athlete,” David says.
The Curb Your Enthusiasm star then opens the book and sees a photo of Sanders, prompting a shout of “What the hell!”
The show then cuts to the reaction of the Vermont Senator, who rocks back in his chair and says, “You’re kidding!” He adds, “Oh my God! That is unbelievable. It’s true?” between a fit of laughter.
After getting over the initial shock, David says, “That is amazing. All right, cousin Bernie,” with a wide grin.
The connection is even more astounding given that David has played Sanders in multiple episodes of Saturday Night Live throughout the 2016 election cycle.
Sanders acknowledged his newfound cousin’s knack for impersonating him. “People say to me, you know they talk about Larry David, and I say he does a better Bernie Sanders than I do,” the senator says during the episode.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up