At least 58 people were killed and at least another 515 injured Sunday in a mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival outside the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The death toll makes the assault the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, overtaking last year’s attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla.
A gunman later identified by police as Stephen Paddock, 64, opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, authorities said. Paddock was later killed in an encounter with law enforcement.
“It just kept coming,” Robyn Webb, who was attending the concert, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “It was relentless.”
Country music star Jason Aldean, who was on stage when the attack began, called the assault “beyond horrific.”
“It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night,” Aldean said in an Instagram post.
See photos from the chilling aftermath of the shooting above.
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time