At least 58 people were killed and at least another 515 injured Sunday in a mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival outside the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The death toll makes the assault the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, overtaking last year’s attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Fla.
A gunman later identified by police as Stephen Paddock, 64, opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, authorities said. Paddock was later killed in an encounter with law enforcement.
“It just kept coming,” Robyn Webb, who was attending the concert, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “It was relentless.”
Country music star Jason Aldean, who was on stage when the attack began, called the assault “beyond horrific.”
“It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night,” Aldean said in an Instagram post.
See photos from the chilling aftermath of the shooting above.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating