(GARLAND, Texas) — A Dallas-area teenager has died two days after being shot in the head by another teen as they played with a handgun.
Garland police say the 15-year-old boy died Thursday.
Authorities say 17-year-old Andy Erives is charged with manslaughter in the death. Police have not released the name of the boy who died.
Erives, the shooting victim and another teen were playing with the gun at a home on Tuesday. Police say Erives pointed the weapon at the 15-year-old and fired. Authorities haven’t said if he intended to shoot or if it was accidental.
Erives fled the home but was later captured and taken to the Garland Detention Center. The victim was hospitalized in critical condition.
It’s not clear if Erives has a lawyer to speak on his behalf.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating