It’s officially been 30 years since The Princess Bride opened in theaters and the Internet is celebrating appropriately — by riffing on the movie’s most quotable lines, of course.
The timeless love story of Westley and Buttercup became a cult classic following its September 1987 release and remains enormously popular to this day. Some fans even incorporate elements of the film into their personal lives. “People have Princess Bride weddings,” director Rob Reiner explained at a live-commentary screening Sunday. “They have, ‘As you wish,” written inside their rings. They do all kinds of things like that.”
Bride enthusiasts took to Twitter Monday to express their love for the fairy-tale satire as well as their disbelief over the fact that it came out three whole decades ago. “Has anyone made an ‘inconceivable’ joke about the fact that The Princess Bride came out 30 years ago today?” one user wrote. “I’m guessing I’m the first one.”
See some of the best 30th anniversary reactions below.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World