As always, the stars turned out in full force for television’s night on Sunday evening in Los Angeles. The 69th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards were a parade of famous faces and unexpected appearances, with plenty of surprises in store, both in terms of awards (without Game of Thrones in the running, new shows could finally find a foothold) — and special guests (hello, Sean Spicer). Here’s a roundup of the evening’s funniest memes, from the internet’s choices of swoon-worthy moments of sisterhood to reaction shots that can’t be beat.
Tituss Burgess and his cheeky appearance in a Colbert skit will make for endless re-sharing.
Everyone loves a good Kevin Spacey meme.
When John Oliver got up to say thank you for an award for Last Week Tonight, he made sure to call out Oprah, who was seated front and center at the show — and proved to be a hit throughout the night.
The 9 to 5 reunion of Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton and Lily Tomlin — especially with their thinly veiled political message — was also inspiring to fans.
The ladies of Big Little Lies are serious crowd favorites and squad goals (and, ultimately, Emmys favorites too, taking home 5 trophies for their work on the HBO drama, including Outstanding Limited Series, Director, and best acting awards for Nicole Kidman, Laura Dern and Alexander Skarsgård.)
But not all the memes have to be funny. Some, like this one of Reese Witherspoon’s acceptance speech, resonated in an era where television is still seeking broader inclusion in both on- and off-screen roles.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.