John Oliver and Dave Chappelle have #DCPublicSchools trending on Twitter during the Primetime Emmy Awards.
During the Emmys on Sunday night, Chapelle — an Emmy winner for guest-hosting SNL this year — joked that he missed rehearsals and was just going to read the teleprompter without prior preparation. “Shoutout to DC Public Schools,” Chappelle said.
After Oliver and his team won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series, the Last Week Tonight host pushed the DC Public Schools meme even further. “I would like to unexpectedly thank D.C. Public Schools,” said Oliver in reference to Chappelle, adding, “just to get it trending on Twitter for no reason.”
It didn’t take long for Oliver’s wish to come true. Soon after his acceptance speech, #DCPublicSchools began trending on Twitter. The official DC Public Schools Twitter account even got in on the act.
Check out the rest of Sunday’s winners here. This is the sixth overall Emmy for HBO’s Last Week Tonight With John Oliver since the show premiered on the network in 2014.
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023