Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is re-emerging to plug her new book on the 2016 presidential campaign and Democrats aren’t exactly thrilled. Ten months after her loss to Donald Trump, Clinton’s party remains sharply divided over the reasons for the defeat and how to recover from it. Look no further than the push by progressive lawmakers this week on single-payer healthcare or the increasing list of potential 2020 candidates dipping their toes in the waters of Iowa and New Hampshire.
Another hurricane is again dominating the Washington agenda, as the nation’s capital grasps with managing and preparing to fund the response to Hurricane Irma. The White House says it’s as yet too early to know the full cost, but it anticipates as many as three substantial supplemental funding requests for disaster relief in the coming months—each a potential legislative showdown.
Steve Bannon speaks out. Trump aides lawyer up. And the expansiveness of the president’s pardon power.
Here are your must reads:
Hillary Clinton on Why She Lost and ‘the most important’ Mistake She Made
Clinton’s book tour begins [CBS]
Steve Bannon’s Not Done
Trump’s ex-chief strategist speaks out [CBS]
Bannon Plotting Primaries Against Slate of GOP Incumbents
The effort threatens to drain millions from party coffers that could be used against Democrats [Politico]
Seven Days of Heroin
This is what an epidemic looks like [Cincinnati Enquirer]
Could President Trump Pardon Someone in Secret?
The short answer: In theory, yes. [TIME]
“I am done with being a candidate. But I am not done with politics because I literally believe that our country’s future is at stake.” — Hillary Clinton to CBS on her political career
“The Republican establishment is trying to nullify the 2016 election.” — Steve Bannon to CBS
Bits and Bites
Steve Bannon Says He Opposed the Firing of FBI Director James Comey [Associated Press]
How the Federal Election Commission Could Essentially Shut Down Before 2018 [Center for Public Integrity]
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.