Hurricane Irma made landfall in Florida early Sunday morning, touching down in Cudjoe Key at approximately 9 a.m. e.t. Irma subsequently began heading towards Southern Florida, with the National Hurricane Center reporting gusts of wind reaching 92 miles per hour at Miami International Airport.
“Irma will bring life threatening wind impacts to much of Florida regardless of the exact track of the center,” the National Hurricane Center said in an advisory Sunday. “Wind hazards from Irma are also expected to spread northward through Georgia and into portions of Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and North Carolina.”
Watch the hurricane unfold at various spots in Florida, including the cities of Naples and Miami, on the video above.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World