Serena Williams gave birth to a baby girl as the U.S. Open was going on.
The news broke that Serena Williams had given birth to a baby girl shortly before Venus Williams had a U.S. Open match.
“I’m super excited. Words can’t describe it,” Venus Williams said during a prematch interview with ESPN Friday.
Serena Williams’ coach Patrick Mouratoglou also tweeted his support saying, “Congratulations @SerenaWilliams for your baby girl. I am so happy for you and I feel your emotion. Recover well & enjoy without limitation. Btw @serenawilliams I wish you a speedy recovery… we have a lot of work ahead of us.”
The news that Serena Williams gave birth was broken by Chris Shepherd of West Palm Beach news station WPBF-25.
“Tennis star Serena Williams gives birth to a baby girl weighing 6 pounds, 13 ounces. Mom and baby doing well,” Shepherd tweeted, which he said was confirmed by a source in St. Mary’s Medical Center in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body