Princess Diana’s status as a style icon has become just as much a part of her legacy as the “People’s Princess” as her humanitarian work and her love for children. However, the princess’ celebrated sense of style holds up as more than just a fashion statement — it’s a visible testament to her evolution as a person. While Diana’s taste in fashion was always elegant, her selections as newly-wed 20-year-old differed drastically from the glamorous ensembles she would later sport after she had grown in both years, confidence, and wisdom.
From the demure deep blue suit she wore for her official engagement photos to the gorgeous black velvet gown and tiara she wore to dance with John Travolta at the White House, here’s a look back at Diana’s fashion evolution.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time