Video surfaced that appears to show a cheerleader at a Denver high School being forced into splits, prompting an investigation.
One video obtained by NBC affiliate KUSA shows an incoming freshman at her first week of cheer camp being forced into a split while screaming and asking them to stop as she’s surrounded by teammates and a coach, according to NBC. The video was recorded by another cheerleader and sent to the news station anonymously, the network said.
Denver Police have launched an investigation into the matter, and the school’s principal, an assistant principal, cheer coach, assistant cheer coach and the Denver Public Schools deputy general counsel have been placed on leave, NBC reported.
Denver Public School Superintendent Tom Boasberg said in a statement to NBC that the video was “extremely distressing” and that “any situation in which a student is forced to perform an activity or exercise beyond the point at which they express their desire to stop” will not be allowed.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate