Warning: This post contains spoilers for season seven of Game of Thrones.
Beric was resurrected six different times by Thoros after originally being killed by the Mountain. But although he still believes he has a greater purpose to fulfill, Richard Dormer — who plays Beric — says his character is ready to go. “I think he’s relieved, in a sense,” he told HBO’s Making Game of Thrones blog. “He knows now that he’s mortal, and that this last life has to count for something. He’s relieved it’ll finally be over.”
Dormer also spoke about why Beric’s faith in the Lord of Light gives him an affinity with Jon Snow.
“He needs something to believe in, and the Lord of Light is just the ticket. It’s also proven to be real ‒ otherwise how does he come back from the dead? It’s not blind faith. This power is real,” he explained. “The only power that can resurrect is the Lord of Light; he realizes Jon has a special purpose, because he also has been kept alive. Beric’s thinking, ‘I better look out for this guy, because he has a big role to play in this war.'”
The finale of Game of Thrones‘ seventh season airs Aug. 27 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at email@example.com