As the President and First Lady Melania Trump watched the solar eclipse from a White House balcony, the press was on deck to snap photos. While Trump wore the prescribed protective lenses for most of the viewing, there was one photo that captured Trump glancing and pointing at the sky during the cosmic spectacle without his safety eyewear.
That one snap in particular has spread across the Internet thanks to the quick Twitter fingers of his critics.
In the live official White House video shared to YouTube, an aide could be heard yelling, “Don’t look!” around the time Trump appeared to point and look upward twice. Shortly after, Trump had his glasses on for the event.
As NASA has warned, soaking up the eclipse without the right gear is not a safe move. So people had fun with this photo.
Long before this moment, Trump’s critics were already going for eclipse-themed Trump satire.
Becoming a meme is an area the President has a great amount of expertise in, and someone even used the eclipse to resurrect an old meme.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List