As the President and First Lady Melania Trump watched the solar eclipse from a White House balcony, the press was on deck to snap photos. While Trump wore the prescribed protective lenses for most of the viewing, there was one photo that captured Trump glancing and pointing at the sky during the cosmic spectacle without his safety eyewear.
That one snap in particular has spread across the Internet thanks to the quick Twitter fingers of his critics.
In the live official White House video shared to YouTube, an aide could be heard yelling, “Don’t look!” around the time Trump appeared to point and look upward twice. Shortly after, Trump had his glasses on for the event.
As NASA has warned, soaking up the eclipse without the right gear is not a safe move. So people had fun with this photo.
Long before this moment, Trump’s critics were already going for eclipse-themed Trump satire.
Becoming a meme is an area the President has a great amount of expertise in, and someone even used the eclipse to resurrect an old meme.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.