Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
Spain attacks leave 14 dead as manhunt ensues
ISIS claimed responsibility for a pair of attacks in Spain that left at least 14 people dead and more than 100 injured. In the first assault in Barcelona, a van driver mowed down pedestrians on a popular tourist walkway. Hours later in Cambrils, another vehicle plowed into a police car and some civilians, according to the Associated Press. Authorities have made several arrests in connection with the two incidents, but they are still searching for the van driver in the first attack.
Fox’s James Murdoch slams Trump over Nazis
James Murdoch, the CEO of 21st Century Fox, has promised to give $1 million to the Anti-Defamation League, which aims to stop anti-Semitism. The pledge came as Murdoch blasted President Donald Trump for blaming “both sides” of the violence in Charlottesville, Va. “Standing up to Nazis is essential,” Murdoch wrote in an email to friends, according to the New York Times.
Marvel’s The Defenders is out on Netflix
Marvel’s The Defenders, a miniseries that revolves around four of Marvel’s biggest superheroes, premieres on Netflix today. The show features Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), Luke Cage (Mike Colter), Iron Fist (Finn Jones) and super-villain Alexandra (Sigourney Weaver).
Some Republicans assailed Trump after he defended Confederate monuments.
A student who attended the Charlottesville white supremacist rally has left Boston University after receiving backlash.
A new therapy may be able to cure children of peanut allergies.
7-Eleven will let you fill any cup you want with Slurpee for $1.50 today and tomorrow.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future