1. It’s possible to trick your heart into thinking you exercise.
By the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
2. Satellite GPS is vulnerable to hacking, so ships are returning to old-fashioned radio signals.
By Jonathan Saul at Reuters
3. Here’s how a microbe in your intestine might help fight auto-immune diseases like multiple sclerosis.
By Bob Nellis at the Mayo Clinic
4. That ‘free sample’ isn’t free. Understanding persuasion can make us smarter consumers.
By Ben Tinker at CNN
5. Big data — and tax breaks — can save small towns.
By Abe Streep in Outside
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space