Metroid: Samus Returns already plays like the side-scrolling Metroid game I didn’t know I wanted, and now there’s a definitive way to engage Samus on her latest adventure: an official “Samus Edition” New Nintendo 3DS XL.
Nintendo of America announced the sleek alt-edition in a tweet that puts the handheld as available on September 15, simultaneous with Metroid: Samus Returns‘ arrival. It’s rather striking, sporting Samus’ signature atomic orange and gleaming gold hues with an etching of Samus herself crouching with one leg extended, as if about to blast one of the series’ scuttling alien adversaries into oblivion
Nintendo says the new custom handheld will run $199, same as the standard New Nintendo 3DS XL. Metroid: Samus Returns is sold separately for $39.99, or as a $49.99 special edition that includes a physical copy of the game, soundtrack CD (with 25 tracks ranging across the series) and a reversible game case insert.
Note that unlike the just-released $149.99 New Nintendo 2DS XL (read TIME’s review here), which includes an AC adapter, the New Nintendo 3DS XL still doesn’t include one, so you’ll either need to already have one, or buy one standalone for a few bucks. Personally, I prefer third-party USB cables, which let me plug into my laptop, or connect to a portable battery charger.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms