Police cited reports from the medical examiners on Wednesday that said Ashley O’Connor, 30, suffocated under sand. Passersby saw only O’Connor’s arm around 6:30 a.m. Monday morning, and emergency services recovered her body from a large hole that sand filled in, the AP reports.
O’Connor had been vacationing with her family at the resort destination, and she had been separated from them around 2 a.m. on Monday when she was walking on the beach alone.
A spokesperson for the Ocean City police said they are still investigating whether she fell or voluntarily descended into the hole on her own before it was covered with sand, the New York Daily News reports.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time