Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
Trump wants to cut legal immigration in half
President Donald Trump supports a Republican-led measure that would slash legal immigration in the U.S. in half within 10 years and create a “merit-based system.” Trump said the bill “demonstrates our compassion for struggling American families who deserve an immigration system that puts their needs first and puts America first.”
Minneapolis school blast leaves 2 dead
An explosion at a Minneapolis school has left two people dead and several others injured, fire officials said. The cause of the blast is unclear. A receptionist and janitor were killed, according to the New York Times.
CRISPR makes big breakthrough in gene editing
For the first time, scientists in the U.S. have corrected a disease-causing mutation in human embryos, using the CRISPR gene-editing tool. CRISPR — a manmade molecule that can pinpoint and cut out diseased DNA from genomes — fixed a genetic defect in human embryos that can cause heart problems, according to a new study. Researchers hope it could one day change how inherited diseases are treated or prevented.
The NAACP backs a travel advisory for Missouri over civil rights concerns.
Anthony Scaramucci says he will tell his side of his White House ouster online tomorrow.
Kidd Creole, a 1980s rapper, has been arrested after a fatal stabbing.
Climate change will make parts of South Asia unlivable by 2100, according to a new study.
Today’s Google Doodle celebrates Mexican Hollywood star Dolores del Río.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at email@example.com.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer